El programa esta cerrado y ya no esta aceptando solicitudes para asistencia.

My loan was transferred to a new servicer who told me that they will not honor my previous servicer’s agreement to accept Keep Your Home California benefit assistance, what should I do?

Homeowners who believe that they have received unfair treatment from their servicer may seek relief by contacting the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Go to: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/#mortgage to learn more about how to file a complaint.